Future Gator!!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

The First Week

I decided that I wanted to keep Drew's blog going through his first year because so much of him will grow and change over the course of the year that I thought it warranted his own blog...still. I didn't want our family blog to turn in to the story of Drew with a few excerpts about the rest of us here and there. So, for now, most of his fun doings and updates will be here.

The first week at home has been fabulous. Drew is an absolutely wonderful addition to our family and I am so glad we had him...oops or not. I truly feel like our family is now complete and I am happy we had this chance for a third, a boy. Because I know now I would have regretted not having a third down the road.

Even at one week old, he's eating great and sleeping as well as can be expected. Nursing is going fantastic which is a wonderful surprise because it was what I was most worried about. I know boys tend to be hungrier and need more, more often. But so far, we have done well and Drew is thriving. He had his first doctor appointment on the 5th and had gained 2 oz. in 2 days. When we left the hospital he had dropped to 7 lbs. 4 oz. which is completely normal. But, by the first appointment 2 days later he was back up to 7 lbs. 6 oz. We have an appointment on the 12th to check his weight gain and then we'll be off and running.

His sleeping patterns have fallen right in line with our schedule for now. He sleeps most of the day but has his longest nap between 11:30 and 3:00 and sleeps through the night, only waking for one feeding at about 3:00 and goes right back to sleep until about 8:00. I am definitely hoping this trend continues.

We've only had 2 set backs this week. The day after we got home, I threw out my back. I tweaked it somehow laying on the bed and have been sore ever since. I hadn't filled the prescription from the hospital because I never had in the past. But when this happened, I sent Bo immediately to get the prescription strength ibuprofen and the percocet. I haven't had any of the percocet because I'm afraid it will make me very tired and right now I am keeping up pretty well. The ibuprofen helps for the most part, but it is taking longer than I'd like. The other set back was a little more painful...unfortunately, I popped a stitch from Drew's birth. And while it was nothing major that needed fixed, it was still painful. Thankfully that pain has subsided and I am well on my way to recovery.

Bo goes back to work tomorrow and I am back to my full schedule. Asher during the day, dance in the afternoon with the girls and a full day of things to do around here. I'm surely going to miss all of Bo's help around the house and I know the girls will miss having their daddy here too. But, we are ready to return to normal and get back to our daily routine. Let's pray it's a smooth transition!!

No comments:

Post a Comment